Thursday 9 August 2012

2 months on and going strong!

I just can't believe I'm here... at the two month mark. I remember at the start thinking.... Mmm... am I going to be able to do this? For how long? How will I cope without all this excess sugar?

Goodbye weetbix with honey
But here I am eight and a half weeks later with no intentions of going back. Neither does my husband. My daughter has been great too. The only thing Ruby has asked for is honey - which we no longer have in our pantry. I know when she asks for it, that it is simply her brain giving her a signal of 'feed me sugar'... but she's getting over it. I must admit...all these years of having weetbix and honey was one of the hardest habits to break, for all of us.

Did you know that my newborn son William, who was born prematurely was given sucrose (sugar without the calories) before his eye procedures? Babies are routinely given this dose before ome procedures as it 'supposedly reduces the pain'. If only I was more informed back then. I would have much preferred for him to have a dose of breast milk! What chance do our kids really have when our trained doctors and medical staff are giving sugar to infants and children. Can you ever remember leaving the doctors or denist and being given a jellybean for being brave? Oh please! Fore more information on this, simply Google 'sucrose to newborns' or click here to read an article written by the Guardian as part of their medical research news.
Just keep reading, just keep reading...
I think that one of the keys to keeping so motivated is that I am constantly reading books or research online. There is so much data and so much research about how serious sugar addiction is, that eating sugar is no longer an option. To me, after reading so much about sugar, it is on par with cigarettes. I wouldn't give my daughter a cigarette and I won't be giving her sugar either. In most of the books I read, there is lots of references to laboratories testing sugar on rats. Did you know that when rats were exposed to cocaine and sugar, 94% of the rats chose sugar. Even those rats previously addicted to cocaine chose sugar when given the choice. Click here for one website which talks about this, however you'll find this information repeated in most books and medical journals worldwide.

I still have the very rare craving for something sweet, but I stick to the same motto as I did in the early days "fill my body with so much of the good stuff that there is no room for the bad stuff". It works. I sat in the bakery yesterday feeding my son and it was the first time I was able to look at all the cakes, slices, biscuits and sweets and see nothing but poison and I had no desire to buy anything.

I know that some people will think that I'm being a bit 'extreme' or 'too disciplined', especially with my daughter, but I challenge those people to actually pick up a book and read about sugar - do some research and then see what you think. I am making an educated decision, based on research, data and statistics and I've never felt healthier. I feel great. I have so much energy (suprising since I feed my son every 3 hours), I am not moody, I have a clear head, no bloating and I feel in sync with my body.

I am currently now reading 'Suicide by sugar; written by Nancy Appleton (who also wrote Lick the Sugar Habit - which is sitting on my bookshelf ready to read next). She speaks very frankly about sugar addiction and talks about how she used to be sick for most of her life until she quit sugar. I am only half way through and will add it to my reading list when finished.

I also read an interesting news article this morning about a bear in America who broke into a shop and ate nothing but chocolate. The bear made seven trips inside the store, taking chocolate and eating it outside before being scared away by a car. To read the full story click here . My first thought after reading this was about how the bear could very well be addicted to sugar. If he is, where will he get his next fix?

No comments:

Post a Comment