Thursday 23 August 2012

Sugar is not love

I am happy to say that my enthusiasm and interest in the health and well being of my family is only strengthening. The more I read about our nutition, the more I am intrigued to find that next book.

 So far, my sugar free lifestyle has been a relatively easy transition (never thought a once sugar addict could ever say that!). Apart from the occasional craving for sugar, sugar is no longer an issue. 


The two smallest (and most important) reasons
 why sugar is no longer in our lives.

I just finished reading 'Little Sugar Addicts', which is a must for anyone with children in their care. What I took from this book was about our childrens ability to maintain a sense of 'calm' and how food affects their behaviour. I have learnt to make sure that there is sufficient protein in Ruby's diet and she has a source of protein with every meal and every snack. Peanuts, cheese, eggs and meat are examples of these. I can see now when Ruby is running 'low' by her moods. She becomes upset, frustrated, emotional and/or tired and I know now to give her something to eat containing protein. It has made me more aware of how often she eats and what she is eating. She eats at regular intervals and I insist on this. I know that if dinner is running late and it has been a while since her afternoon tea to give her some crackers with peanut butter on them. It has made an INSTANT change in her behaviour. It is like reading a book and knowing the contents page! I am very impressed. Ruby was already eating very well, but this is just improving that even more.

  I also read a section in the book about 'special occasions'. It talks about being prepared and planning for occasions where there will be an abundance of sugar (Easter, Christmas, Birthdays etc). It got me thinking about how I was going to cope with my two children on these occasions.
Click on my reading
list for my book review
Easter is easy, I've already thought about it - no more filling up the basket with sugar, but instead books, clothes, games and any other Easter/bunny/egg material.
Christmas - that is also pretty easy, just make sure Ruby and William have enough 'good food' in front of them first and talk about it with them both beforehand.

But birthdays is more difficult for me to comprehend. I have read that beating the sugar addiction for children means no more birthday cakes - to break the 'tradition', but my husband and I have been talking about it and I'm not sure if it will be that easy. After all, it isn't just her birthday that we're talking about, it is everyone elses too. Anyhow, this is still a topic that I'm deep in thought about. I know that when Ruby has her 4th birthday next year, I will be working my magic in creating a sugar free party for her and her friends and I'm happy with that - I'm just not sure about the whole cake thing. Do birthday parties always have to have a traditional cake?

Who wants to live
happily ever after?
My answer is NO.


 I love Ruby and for her 4th birthday next year, I will show her that I love her by feeding her healthy nutritious food that she will feel good eating (both before and after!). I know that some people will read this and think 'oh, poor Ruby.... she's gotta have cake on her birthday' and may even think that I'm too disciplined. But, I'm not saying 'no' to cake. I'm saying no to the traditional sugar filled cake with a party full of cupcakes, lolly bags, soft drinks and chocolate. I want to create a birthday party where Ruby and her friends have a fantastic time playing, eating, drinking and celebrating without the sugar. It is possible.

Google 'sugar free parties' before
your next party
One of the most important things in all of this though is having the support of friends and family. It wouldn't be easy if my friends and family rocked up with soft drink and donuts. So far, most people in my life have accepted and respected our choices, but occasionally, I have to smile and relax as Ruby is offered a sugary treat. When this happens, Ruby looks straight at me as if to say "Mum, can I have it?". I know she wants it, but she isn't sure what to do because she knows that 'mummy doesn't approve becaise it is not good for her'.  I'm not sure how I feel about all this. The angel on my left shoulder is telling me that I am doing the right thing by saying 'no' to her having that cupcake but the little devil on my right is saying 'give it to her...she's only three". And this is the dilemma I am faced with. Most times I compromise. She can have the cupcake after she eats her lunch, (which is always nutritious). That way, we have met half. The last thing I want is for my daugther to be shoving her face with cupcake as she hides in the bathroom! Luckily, this doesn't happen very often, so I just go with it when it does.

Sugar is not love
The book also talks about how we relate sugar to 'love'. Our society says "I Love You" with sugar and I hate that!!!!   I love you, so I bought you a block of chocolate......I love you, and baked this double chocolate mud cake with chocolate icing on it... I love you....so I bought us a packet of chocolate biscuits to have with the movie tonight. This is why we have so many options of 'chocolate gift boxes' and you can even buy a chocolate bouquet! This is why we have birthday parties for kids FILLED with sugar treats and a big fat sugar cake. Because we love them and we want them to be happy and feel good. There is a reason why chocolate makes us feel so good. DId you know that eating choclate makes you happy because it contains phenylephylamine - the same hormone the brain triggers when you fall in love. This is science!
These traditions are poisoning our children and our children's children. We need to step away from the sugar bowl and start opening our minds to creating healthy nutritious meals and snacks for all occasions.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jade,
    I find myself with the exact same dilemma on a regular basis with my 4 year old giving me that look. I know some of my family, and sometimes my husband think I am too strict, 'they're just kids' and it's a work in progress to change the sentiment. Not everyone has nutrition at the top of their interest list so I feel leading my example is the way to slowly change attitudes. I have been working hard on sugar free parties for some time myself and always cook cakes with no wheat and healthy sugar. It's expensive but it's important to me. Other kids parties on the other hand, hard work! We also talk before the party about choices but you cannot ask your to child to sit out everything on table, so i figure it's part of teaching process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam,
    Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from other mothers who are also taking this journey. It is certainly hard work. Five months on, it is still a 'work in progress'. My daughter eyes still light up if any sugar coated treat is put in front of her. Although, on an upside, she is definately discovering in her own time the link between what she eats and how she feels and behaves. We are all ready for the sugar high and the sugar blues when she has an odd ice cream or cake at someones birthday. I find the hardest thing is getting on with our sugar free lives in our modern day society. Sugar, artificial flavours, colours and chemicals fill our shelves. Shopping at the local supermarket will never be the same and I when I see people filling their trolleys with white bakery goods, soft drinks, cereals, juice, jams and confectionary - I wonder if they really have any idea at all as to what they are actually buying. Anyhow, like you said, nutrition needs to be a priority to find these things out....it is a non stop learning journey!

    ReplyDelete