Saturday 7 July 2012

Week 2 - Eat fat

Week 2 - Eat fat

Good fat? You be the judge
 This week was a ground breaking week for me. I had read more and felt educated and informed about why I was doing this with my family. But I was worried that eating fat would make me fat - just how I've been persuaded to believe over the passed 30 years.That is why my fridge was full of low fat yoghurt, mayo and cheese - little did I know the vast amount of sugar in each of these. The labels should read - Low Fat and High Sugar.
 This week coconuts became my best friend...with tea a close second. Coconut water, oil, flakes, shredded coconut, milk and cream - where have you been all my life and why do you have to be so expensive! I use coconut and coconut products in alot of my cooking. It is a fridge and pantry staple. I even borrowed a book all about coconuts to arm myself with more info. It was great.Click here for a website that lists 80 great uses for coconut oil.

Breakfast started becoming a challenge - until I changed my thinking. I was no longer going to eat a bowl full of sugar, like I'd been trained. Although we are really a 'Weet-bix' family, muesli was being shown the bin, but the oats and weet-bix were staying. We started cooking alot of breakfast, re-heating left overs for breakfast and this week I discovered Sarah Wilson's Coco-Nutty granola - oh my gosh!!! I'm in heaven. I just love it and have a jar of it on my bench at all times. When it is baking in the oven, it fills the house with the most amazing aroma.I find nuts to be quite expensive, so I add a couple of cups of oats to the mix and leave out the rice malt syrup (as this makes it too sweet for us).

I'm still getting a few headaches, but not as much. I lapsed while at my mothers and had a mini twix - and so did my daugther. I honestly enjoyed the taste, just not the thought.

 
My homemade Coco-Nutty Granola -
 always on my bench

I also started hearing about this book 'Sweet Poison' again. I had seen it lying around at friends houses in the past but thought nothing of it, until now. When I went to borrow it from my local library, I saw that 66 people had lined up to reserve it - whoa, it must be good. A friend lent it to me and I began to read, re-read, read aloud and read again. I was completely gobsmacked with what I was reading - the history of sugar, how rare it was, how abundant it is now, how it is used, what research and testing has shown, the data, the statistics and the effects. 

I now own these books and can do nothing but recommend them for anyone interested in finding out about sugar. The are a great read, very informative, up to date and turn the complicated science of our body into an easy read.

I was left asking myself the question: have I been hiding under a rock my whole life? How could I be 30 years old and only just realising this white crystal is nothing but poison? I refuse to let my two children follow the same path as me.

These are David Gillespie's two books I purchased and have read and re-read over and over again. I have taken lots of strategies from the quit plan and combined them with Sarah Wilson's 8 week program. I'll talk more about these books later.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment