Saturday 7 July 2012

Week 4 - face the demons

Week 4 - Face the demons



I am definately feeling good this week. Not too many demons to face at all.  And if I do feel like i'm struggling, I just eat something good and read one of my books. Like Sarah Wilson suggested, crowd out the bad stuff with the good. It works!  
My shopping lists looks much better

When I look at my shopping list, I can see that my choices have changed. I no longer need to even glance at the confectionery aisle - there is nothing for me or my family here. I also steer clear of spreads and am careful when looking at the yoghurts. My shopping has changed.


 Headaches, what are they? I am definatley happy with my appetite control system as I continue to eat whatever I want, whenever I want - just not sugar. I am continually amazed that this little white substance has been having a party in my body for all these years. My afternoon 'cravings' are no more and sometimes I have to think hard to remember what time I ate last. I do have to say that I am being careful not eat out of 'habit'. We have dinner at about 6pm every night, and I normally have something else to eat before bed. This 'something' was normally fruit and sometimes ice cream, lollies or chocolate. Now I might have a small bowl of granola and am getting used to the idea of cheese, grilled haloumi or a simple glass of milk. Milk has NEVER tasted so sweet!!! It definately gives me that 'sweet' fix if i am looking for one.


This week I am re-reading David Gillispies Quit Plan book and decided to clean out my pantry (as you can see in the pic). I go rid of anything that contained too much sugar. It wasn't until I looked at all this stuff on the table, that I realised that my house was full of sugar.


Ridding my pantry of sugar filled food

I also sat down and looked closely at the Nutrition Information Panel (NIP) Did you know that the Jam, Maple Syrup, Fruit Chutney, Sweet Chilli Sauce, BBQ sauce, Tomato sauce, Silver Cachous and chocolate eggs all had sugar listed as the first ingredient! This means that based on the weight of the product, sugar makes up most of it. Argh!! I also felt pretty dumb when I realised that condensed milk was just milk and sugar... Mmm, no wonder I could eat it out of the tin!


The top items with more than 20g/20mls per 100g/100mls were the jam, condensed milk, Sweet chilli sauce, Sweet n Sour sauce (jar and packet), Maple syrup, Fruit Chutney, BBQ sauce, biscuit base, muesli, sweetened coconut flakes, chocolate eggs and of course all that sugar. Oh my gosh!!! Out it went.


Pantry staples - these get used EVERY day!

What has replaced this has been a group of 'must haves'. Coconut oil (I use for EVERYTHING including lip balm), cinnamon, salt, pepper, chia seeds, olive oil (for cooking on low heat) and walnut oil (for pouring on salads etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment